6.28.2010

The Nap King

Just to clarify... the Nap King is not Will.  He is getting much better with his naps, so he may earn the title very soon.  Mark is the Nap King.

Let me explain.  For the past week since school ended, we have initiated Operation: Naptime.  This means that Will would nap in his crib.  This is a huge change, though, because he is used to being held during his naps.  As he has gotten older and less willing to fall asleep on his own, naptimes have become more challenging.  We knew it was best for him (and for us, to reclaim a tiny slice of our lives!) for him to nap in his crib.

Armed with a little Ferber Method knowledge and a sleepy baby, we began the journey.

Here's the stats:
  • Monday through Wednesday of last week (Mark working) = not so hot.  Will might have tiny naps, but he DID NOT like the idea of going into his crib (whether awake or asleep when put in).  Only once did I give in from all the crying and he napped (for about two hours) on our bed.  Since I got a much-needed nap, that lessened my guilt.
  • Thursday and Friday (Mark home) = each day had a 2 to 2.5 hour nap (with a bit of crying), but Will finally gave in to the Nap King.
  • Saturday (Mark away at Nathan's) = two 30 minute naps (some crying involved) via me and Gram
  • Sunday = catnap in the car, THREE HOUR NAP in the afternoon.  Mark put him down and went through a thirty minute crying session of quick check-ins, laying him back down, and rubbing his belly.  He finally fell asleep (Mark said he was not feeling like the Nap King this day), and awoke happy and refreshed three hours later.
  • Today = Will fell asleep in his activity jumper.  Mark picked him up, took him upstairs, and laid him down.  Mark said he opened his eyes and seemed to want to stand up, but Mark quietly left the room.  There was no sound.  No crying.  At all.  And going on 2.5 hours later, he is still napping at this very moment.
Whether rough or easy, Will has been napping in his crib, and that was a major goal.  He is coming along, and I see light at the end of the tunnel.

I love the Nap King.

1 comment:

  1. Naptime is WONDERFUL! I'm so glad the NapKing has things under control! In no time, you'll have that peace and quiet to do whatever YOU want! I think I'm gonna insist that Vince continue to nap at least 2-3 hours everyday till he's in college.

    ReplyDelete